Thursday, November 20, 2008

November 20th - Touring Beijing (by Lily)

We woke up at 4am in the morning to the sound of hammering noises. It was really loud. Not sure where it was coming from. We both tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't and got up at 6am. We got dressed and went to breakfast. I had a cheese omelet with Ham in it. Then my Dad took me on a long walk around the hotel area. We stopped at a store and got a notebook (which I named Mogli), Diet Coke (for Dad), and some water. After that we walked back to the Hotel.

We met our Interpreter and guide William at 9:30 in the lobby. We also met DD, Lucy and Jane - three other girls from Fuling, who now live in Australia with their parents. They have an Australian accent. We got on our bus and went to Hu Tong. We rode Rickshaws around Hu Tong. My Dad and I were together in one, and the other families had their own.



We visited a kindergarten school. We played in the kindergarten and with some of the kids. It was soooo fun.

Crossing the streets is exciting. There are not very many crosswalks and the cars and bikes are coming all the time.


We rode the rickshaws to an old style Chinese house with a courtyard in the middle of it. We tried barley tea (yuck). I also had my name painted by an artist. There were two old men playing Chinese Chess. The house was over 200 years old.


The Rickshaw ride was over, and I was sad. I hope we get to ride the Rickshaws again before we go home. We all had lunch - Chinese food. The food was on a big spinning table thingie. The food spun around and everyone shared. Lucinda loaned me her fork because the chopsticks were hard to use with rice (they were too big). I had to use the squatty Potty, gross .....

After lunch we went to the Drum Tower. We walked up super steep stairs (at least 100), to get to the top. There were huge drums up there (And it was sooooo not worth it).


After that, we went to the summer palace and walked and walked and walked .... and Dad will tell you about the summer palace.

I am very excited for the new friends I made.

More tomorrow - and more from Dad (Lily)

No comments: